[MarignyBywater] Modular Shotgun Style Homes in the Historic Marigny

Geoff Coats geoff at urbanconservancy.org
Tue Apr 15 18:58:25 EDT 2008

Hi dbf3rd,

I believe I understand your concern in this case. Nevertheless, I
think you undermine your own position by over-emphasizing MODULAR HOME
in all these posts. The method of construction shouldn't be the issue.
After all, the rather ugly and unimaginative houses presented on the
Bents Classic Homes web page (http://www.bentshomes.com/) could just
as easily be build with traditional 2 x 4s and vinyl siding. I know
because I have one up the street from me.

The real problem is bad design and lack of attention to details: The
typical problem in modern America -- not just in modular construction.

On the other side of the issue, some creative and talented people are
doing interesting and substantial projects with modular methods. See
for example:
http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/fabzone/090ThedwellHome/090dwellhomeexterior.htm

Clearly, the modern aesthetic of the Dwell project might not be
everyone's cup of tea but I think most would agree it is a thoughtful
and creative (if not fully successful) approach to solving a problem
of affordability.

So if you are opposed to this particular house proposed for your
neighborhood, you might want to focus on the specific issues of
appropriateness that concern you rather than the method of
construction -- which seems a surrogate for something else.

Best,
Geoff