José Torres Tama / Ogden Museum New Orleans Symposium/Performance on Creole Legacy Sunday, April 13, 2-4PM

poetafuego at juno.com poetafuego at juno.com
Sat Apr 12 13:05:37 EDT 2008

Dear Marigny Neighbors:

I would like to extend an invitation to all of you for the final event in conjunction with an exhibit of drawings at the Ogden Museum called "New Orleans Free People of Color & Their Legacy."  We are having a symposium and performance on the Creole legacy this Sunday, April 13 from 2-4PM, and it includes a panel discussion with the historian Keith Weldon Medley.

Many of the Creoles depicted in the exhibition were folks who lived in the Marigny and the Treme neighborhoods.  I will be performing a new work called Channeling the Spirits" about the "free people of color," and I will be accompanied by classical vocalist Claudia Copeland.  Below are the details.

On behalf of the Ogden, we would like you to attend as our guests.  Please email me back if you can make it, and we will have you on the guest list plus one. Please reply to jose at torrestama.com for the guest list.

Thank you for your support,

Jose Torres Tama
jose at torrestama.com
504-232-2968 (cell)

************
OGDEN MUSEUM SYMPOSIUM ON NEW ORLEANS' CREOLE LEGACY:
Sunday, April 13, from 2-4PM

Keith Weldon Medley, Creole Historian, will lead  a panel discussion on his book  "We As Free Men: Plessy v. Ferguson," and the legacy of the "free people of color" in New Orleans as it relates to the current exhibit of historical portraits at the Ogden Museum created by artist Jose Torres Tama.  Mr. Medley wrote the biographical notes that accompany each portrait in the exhibition.

"CHANNELING THE SPIRITS" PERFORMANCE
In conjunction with the exhibit of historical portraits, this performance component of Torres Tama's research on the "free people of color" explores the colonial notions of "race purity" and the dispossession of property and rights they faced after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803.  "Channeling the Spirits" also features classical vocalist Claudia Copeland reprising the work of Edmond Dede, a free man of color who was a leading composer in his time.

EXHIBITION:
“New Orleans Free People of Color & Their Legacy”
Portraits on Paper by José Torres Tama

Ogden Museum of Southern Art University of New Orleans
January 10 – April 14, 2008

 “Les gens de couleur libres” are considered the first multiracial people in the United States, borne of a unique mixing between the African, French, Spanish, and native races of early New Orleans.  A hybrid third race between the French and Spanish Colonial slave masters and their slaves, their numbers had grown greatly by the Louisiana Purchase of 1803.  This visual history project celebrates their legacy and honors their cultural, political, and, artistic contributions.  The exhibit is organized with the support of Chief Visual Arts Curator David Houston, and with the contributions of historian Keith Weldon Medley.

Ogden Museum of Southern Art – 925 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
504.539.9600  www.ogdenmuseum .org